Thursday, March 11, 2010

BBH Should Plant a Garden


So, I was told by a close friend of mine that her mother kindly suggested that I start a garden as a Bored Broke Housewife (BBH). I couldn't agree more. But, there are a few issues... 1) I don't care for veggie gardens. They take up so much time, energy and (in my case) I am lucky if I get anything to eat out of them. However, I do have to admit that I have an awesome Uncle that has the best green thumb. This amazing Uncle is kind enough to share his "crops" with me, so I do enjoy fresh veggies every fall. 2) I live in a poor climate for growing anything but junipers and pines (zone 4). 3) My husband and I just moved into our house 10 months ago and the previous owner was a lazy bum who did not do anything with the house or property. So, I have a ton of overgrown CRAP in the way of me growing any proper garden. I have attached a photo of the over grown crap, just for the added drama. My goal is to have it cleared out by the end of this year... or at least reasonably cleared.
So, now that I have gotten the problem on the table... I am going to make you a promise. I will never come to the table with a problem and no solution. If I ever do commit this sin, I ask that you call me on it.
Now, on to the solution... I am attending a high altitude gardening/ landscaping class tonight. This class is held through my local school district. I attended one class about a month ago that was very informative. I found out what I can and can't grow where I live and I will find out about soil conditions and watering needs tonight. This class is a great way to get out of the house, gain some sanity and learn something new to put to work within your home. Not to mention, the class that I am taking only cost $15.00.
Many school districts offer adult education classes that are open to the public at a low cost so they can earn some extra revenue and provide a great service to the local community. Some classes that are offered in my local area are: Scrapbooking, French, Spanish, German, Social Networking, Ballroom Dancing, Gardening and Landscaping and the list goes on and on.
So, get out there and learn something new. I guarantee that if you learn to do it yourself... it will cost a lot less.
Now, I am off to learn how to eventually get me a FLOWER garden ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment